Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Music from El Salvador

I'm already thinking about the next topic: Music.

In my mind has been rounding the idea of carving a Tepunahuaste. I've been looking for a walnut log that will fill all the requirements to make this happen, I haven't found it yet, but I will eventually. I will keep you posted.
Oh I forgot to tell you that the Tepunahuaste it's a percussion instrument. It consist of a hollow log with an incision in the shape of an H and it only emits two different notes.


This is an schematic of the instrument:



I also found today a perfect arch to make a Caramba. The caramba it's a single string instrument with a calabash shell in the middle of the bow and it's played hitting the string with a stick, sort of like a Brazilian berimbau only longer.
I will post some pictures of the progress once I get all the necessary supplies to start building it.

Until then I will keep thinking about more instruments to add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment